Let’s face it: not everyone wakes up thinking about soil and how amazing it is. But, the reality is that soil is very much alive, so there is a lot to love! Soil contains vast amounts of living matter, including a wide variety of organisms that are beneficial to your grass. Ultimately, maintaining a great lawn begins with maintaining a healthy soil base. Don’t worry, though, we’ll take care of all of the science behind it. For now, we’d love to share some of the amazing things we love about soil!
10. There are 70,000 different types of soil in the U.S.!
9. 1 Tablespoon of soil has more organisms in it than there are people on earth!
8. 1.4M earthworms can be found in an acre of cropland …
7. … And each of these worms pass 15 TONS of dry soil through them each year!
6. 10% of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions are stored in the soil.
5. The top 6 inches of an acre of top soil contains 20,000 pounds of living matter.
4. Soil acts as a filter for underground water, filtering out pollutants.
3. 0.01% of Earth’s water is held in soil
2. Soil plays a huge part in supporting planet’s biodiversity
1 . At least 500 years(!) is needed to form one inch of top soil!